2020 was the first year Imperfect Fifth was accepted as an official press outlet for SXSW. Though two members of our team have been listed as press in the past — and we have attended and done extensive coverage even when we aren’t listed — this was a huge feat for Imperfect Fifth as a bootstraps music publication. But our reach is larger than we know. We are bringing new music to the forefront as best we can, especially in these times when people are turning to the arts for an escape, or peace of mind.
Though we can’t make things physically better at the moment, we did decide to move forward with our in-person interview format… but from our couches. Elizabeth Schneider — music journalist, writer, and DIY queen — came up with the name, and we’re sticking to it! So relax for a few minutes, and delve into the first episode of our quick-hitting third season of our podcast, The Sofa Sessions.
Stephen Clair is doing everything he can to stay involved in the music community during quarantine. During our first interview of what would have been our SXSW series, he talks Al Franken, social distancing, and Beacon Music Factory!
- 0:00 Intro
- 0:25 – Was there a moment or a specific memory when you realized that music was your path?
- 1:23 – How did songwriting come to fruition?
- 2:20 – You released “Mad” last December. Was there any specific inspiration behind the sentiment?
- 3:50 – What are you doing to stay engaged with your community?
- 5:15 – Are you an extrovert or an introvert?
- 6:00 – While everyone else is pillaging paper products, what one item would you buy the store out of if given the chance?
- 6:25 – Anything else you’d like to share?
Keep your eyes on the site for daily podcast releases in the coming weeks!
Latest posts by Meredith Schneider (see all)
- (sxsw) sofa sessions: a conversation with ryan cassata - April 1, 2020
- (sxsw) sofa sessions: a conversation with bandits on the run - March 31, 2020
- (sxsw) sofa sessions: a conversation with demitasse - March 30, 2020